Finishing the pile because this was one of the first dresses I made but I hated the way it was turning out so I never finished it. Some advice? Wait until you are more experienced sewer before you attempt boning a bodice. Also, make sure it FITS before boning over seams. I had started it and the bodice, as always, was too big. I did what I could, taking it in where I could without having to tear the entire thing apart, but the top still gaped a bit and the halter neck was about 6 inches too long. So, into a pile it went, 'finish at later date if ever' pile, we all have one ;)
Well, I've been going through some of this pile. Fixing a broken zipper, taking in the back of things because of my (apparently) freakishly small back, etc. So I decided to finish this one up.
I had previously shortened the halter strap by pushing it further into the bodice and then sewing it on. This was a problem because the strap flares out towards the bodice and looks bizarre when those ends are cut off. So, I sewed them to the bodice where they were supposed to go (thank god I hadn't cut them off!) and ripped apart the back and sewed it up to the almost right length and then threw in some elastic (thank god for elastic) in the back. It'll be covered by my hair :P This was probably the most difficult thing, sewing the damn straps back into a bodice with a lining that had already been stitched down and placing the straps right, etc.
Lo and behold, the front STILL gapes. So, I decided to scrunch it up and make a sweet heart neckline. Probably the best thing I did. Makes it slightly less obvious.
Then, I sewed in the hem. DONE.
Still not overly happy with it. The construction isn't up to par with what I do now, the brocade design doesn't match up, something I would have done if I had thought of it. And it looks like I don't have a waist when, in fact, I have a very defined waist. Instead of worrying about taking it in, I have the feeling it would look better with a belt anyway. So, To Do List: Make/Buy belt.
I don't know if I would make this pattern again. It was too much trouble and didn't really turn out. I doubt it would have turned out if I was making it now. I haven't had a good run with Vogue patterns at all.
Anyway, there we go. Off to work on another of my many projects.